Never buy a house on rented land. I’m sure you heard this uttered by social media thought-leaders. Not only is this sage advice, but it’s also the main reason you should find ways to improve your email open rates.
The folks at Sikich developed an infographic that lists 10 ways to improve your email open rates. I have transcribed some of the key points for easy consumption.
- Consumers who received email marketing spend 83% more when shopping
- Email marketing ROI = $44.25 for every dollar spent
- Email can be up to 20x more effective than other marketing outlets
- 62% of B2B e-marketers plan to increase spending for email marketing
10 Easy Ways To Improve Your Email Open Rates
- Use a clean list of TARGETED, opted-in recipients. 32% of marketers say segmenting their email database is one of their top objectives in the next 12 months. Targeting and segmenting will increase your CTR from 3% to 8%
- Send from a REAL PERSON that recipients can reply to.
- Write a killer SUBJECT LINE.
- Tell ‘em what to EXPECT.
- Use an attention-grabbing PREHEADER. This is your next best chance to give your readers a preview of what’s inside and incentive to open.
- Display early CALL-TO-ACTION.
- Optimize it for mobile. 38% of all emails are opened on a mobile device. 78% of U.S. email users will access their email via mobile by 2017.
- Don’t forget to PERSONALIZE. Personalized emails improve click-through rates by 14% and conversion rates by 10%.
- GIVE RECIPIENTS CONTROL over opting-in or out, frequency of emails and content they receive. 69% of subscribers cite “too many emails” as the number one reason they unsubscribe from your emails.
- TEST, MONITOR, AND ANALYZE. Study the behaviors of your recipients! What time of day do they usually open your emails? What links are they clicking on? What are they interested in?