Writing a blog post that appeals to a large audience can sometimes be difficult. You have to come up with innovative content and make sure your content stand out from your competitors. Improving your blog posts with YouTube videos is a great way to step up your content.
Not only do YouTube videos make your blog post appear more interactive, YouTube videos (and other media elements) can also help to make your blog post more search engine friendly. This is because blog post with videos generate more outbound links which could help make your blog post appear higher in the results.
How to Improve Your Blog Posts With YouTube Videos
1. Decide which video to use
First of all, you need to find the video that you’d like to include. The most important thing to remember is the video needs to be relevant to the topic. For example, if you are writing an article on how to be ready for a live stream, you can include a bloopers reel of someone who accidentally messed up on their intro on TV like this. There’s still an overlap between the two and the video helps to add more value to the post.
Once you find the video you want, you can add it to the post in a few different ways.
2. Embed similar YouTube videos
The first and probably the most effective way to include videos in your blog post is by directly embedding it in the post. There are 3 easy steps to do this.
Let’s say that you want to include a video for your how-to blog post on the topic of how to edit a video for YouTube.
- After you find the video that you think fits best with your content, you would click the share icon under the video.
- Then, simply copy the link provided from YouTube:
- Once you paste the link to your post, WordPress will immediately fetch the embed code and display the video inside post editor.
Embedding a video directly to the post is probably the best way to incorporate video in a post since it lets the reader play the video without leaving the current post that they are reading. This means that they are more likely to continue reading the post after they are done watching the video.
3. Link the video on the blog on a picture
Though embedding the video directly to the post may be the easiest way to include video within a blog post, there are situations where this method may not the best way to incorporate media. For example, the size of the video you’d like to include might be too big, or maybe you don’t want people to watch the video right there and then. What you can do instead is hyperlink the video to an image or text.
- First, you would need to take a screenshot of the video like this.
- Then, insert the image into your post by clicking on the Add Media button and follow the instruction shown on there.
- Don’t forget to fill in the Title, Caption, Alt Text, and Description of the image as they can help with SEO later on.
- Next, click on the image you have added to the post, click on the hyperlink button on the toolbar, and paste your link there.
- After pasting the link, hover over to the image and click on the edit button. Image Details window will then pop up on your screen.
- Go to Advanced Options and check the box that says Open link in a new tab. This will then allows the audience to open the video on a separate which prevents them to get lost in the video and never go back to your article.
Another alternative is to skip the first step of adding the screenshot, and just hyperlink the video to text that you have in your post.
4. Create your own video
If you want to take it one step further, you can also create a video specifically to accompany the blog post that you are writing.
This is particularly helpful if you are writing a How-To article on something that requires a demonstration since the video helps the audience to get more of a grasp of the topic. You could make the video as a quick tutorial, while still having the blog post as the main explanation that has more details.
Once you upload the video on YouTube or any similar platform, don’t forget to add the link to your blog post in the description box. That way, the audience that found your video on YouTube first can also easily find your blog post.
Do you have any other ways to improve your blog posts with youtube videos? Let us know in the comments below!